Legal Briefs on May 22nd, 2018

Here is a link to the show Law & Disorder if you didn’t get a chance to hear it.

  • Q) I am a professional MMA fighter and got injured during a fight. The promotions are supposed to be liable. I recently found out that I am now in Collections because they failed to pay for the ER medical bills. How do I go about getting this resolved?

  • Contact a lawyer to review your waiver of right. There may be multiple companies that are involved who are responsible who were not notified.

  • Q) The bank foreclosed on our house this week even though I had a short sale cash offer, for the price they wanted. Can I sue them for breach of contract?’

  • You do not have a breach of contract with the bank. The bank has to agree to the short sale and be willing to stop the foreclosure process. Be aware that they are not obligated to accept the offer and can still proceed with the foreclosure.

  • Q) Our son owes $2,200 to the clerk of courts for court and jail costs for a misdemeanor drug charge. His license is suspended until he pays it. Is it worth retaining a lawyer to reduce the fees or will the lawyer outweigh the potential savings?

  • That will depend on the total of the costs and the price of the attorney. You can ask the judge or court officials if you have an option to make payments over a period of time. It’s probably best to just pay the fees and get the license reinstated.  

  • Q) Our two-year-old boy stepped into a red ant pile at the children’s city park playground. His legs and feet are scarred with blisters, hives, rashes, etc. I feel the city should reimburse me for some expenses and for having to miss work to take care of my child.
  • Suing the city is expensive and there are many variables that you must prove. Such as, if someone had a duty to take care of the ant pile. If other people were affected by this, did they have a notice, and so on.  

  • Q) I got hurt working for a moving company. They refused to pay, saying I was not using the proper technique. I followed the training method. Do I have a case?

  • There are a few questions that need to be answered before determining if there is a case. Were you an independent contractor or an employee? If an employee, then you may have a Workers’ Comp. case. If you do not have Workers’ Comp. and will have to sue personally, there is a comparative negligence in Florida. This will require additional details, feel free to contact us for assistance.  

Law & Disorder with Kaufman & Lynd: April 25, 2018

Law & Disorder with Kaufman & Lynd: April 18, 2018

Law & Disorder with Kaufman & Lynd: May 2, 2018

Jeffrey S. Kaufman is currently licensed to practice law in Florida and seventeen other states. Jeffrey can be found on Justia Lawyers, Martindale Hubble, and

For more information please visit; or

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content